Verse of the Day

4 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!5 Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

One week ago today....

One week ago today my day began as most days, hearing my husband in the shower.....he came over to my side of the bed, kissed me and I got up to clip on his suspenders in the back. Some mornings he insists I stay there and turn over but not this morning.....we went downstairs together and the first one we greeted was our 15 month old grand daughter, and she was all smiles.
~*~*~*~*
Hubby left for work and my day continued. About an hour and a half later I heard the garage door and his heavy footsteps, he walked into the kitchen and said he had forgotten his medications......so while he took care of that our grand daughter had heard his voice and came running/walking around the corner of our countertop saying, "poppa, poppa". He picked her up, still in her jammies and kissed on her, his little O'Deller is what he called her. We chatted and he went on his way.
~*~*~*~*
Later that afternoon I received two emails from him, just silly, nonsense emails that mean so much to me now. He arrived home later than normal.....they had had trouble balancing the drawer at work so it was a little after 5:30.....it was cooks choice night and I had fried him up some leftover potatoes and meat....got it on his plate and he prayed over everyones choice for the night. We enjoyed some family conversation and a family friend from church stopped by and joined in with us, talking, laughing and teasing.
~*~*~*~*
We started to get ready to leave for Bible Study and as always the boys wanted to know which one got to ride in the truck with Mom and Dad....the youngest is normally the one to go but tonight Daddy said for the middle boy to jump in and he was glad..... So began our routine on Wednesday....we stopped into a gas station for hubby to get a pop and then he always created a tasty cappuccino for our son-in-law whom we think of as our son. Before he got out of the truck he said since he noticed I had not eaten supper he would buy me something. He and our son came back with the coffee, a Dr Pepper and a large bag of m&ms for my "supper". I smiled and teased him that he'd have to help me with them or I wouldn't sleep that night. As he backed out and we pulled out, he grabbed his left arm near the elbow area.....it was a reflexive, quick grab and I asked him if he was okay and he said it was just his shoulder, although that wasn't where he grabbed.
~*~*~*~*
We arrived at the church and awaited the others.....he opened the bag of m&ms and sprinkled some out for me.....I ate a few and then pushed it over to him. A friend opened up the study not long after and we began.....my husband asked another friend where they should go tonight and he said, Romans, Chapter 3....we opened up our Bibles and began to read and study. All of the children were in back doing their separate thing....including our young grand daughter.
~*~*~*
Not taking any m&ms out for himself he kept sprinkling a few out by my side of my Bible now and then and finally when I pushed it towards him the last time I caught his eye and smiled at him giving him that look that he knew I was done and he had to start sharing.....so he sprinkled a handful out and ate them then looked at me and smiled like he had just completed a job, well done :) That was the last time I looked into his eyes before the pain of his heart attack seized him.
~*~*~*~*

8 comments:

Patrick and Emily said...

Mom (in my <3 at least),
Thank you for writing this. It had to be hard. I love the name you gave it.It is a Courage road. And you are a joyful spirit! We love you. Thank You for sharing!
Em

Stacy said...

I am amazed by your strength and your courage. What a wonderful example of faith and devotion you are! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Dear Friend,

As I read your words, I could hear the conversation between you and your husband. I could also see the glances that you gave each other. I have witnessed these loving exchanges many times. You and your husband have been a blessing to each other and to those who have had the privilege to be a part of your lives. I know that my family is thankful for that blessing.

You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. May our Heavenly Father wrap His loving arms around all of you and give you His peace. We love you all very much!

Anonymous said...

WOW! Like always you have touched my heart. As I sit here reading this, tears are rolling. Love jennie

Anonymous said...

beautiful servent- your absolutely amazing and so many people look up to you for who you are and the amazing things you do! :) your continuely in my thoughts and prayers. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

You do not know me but I too lost my husband 3 and a half years ago he was ony 54. My daughter knows one of yours and let me know of your loss.
I am sorry he sounded like an amazing man.
Know that he is in the most comforting arms as are you. What a blessing ...to know your loved one is with King Jesus. If you would like someone to talk to please email me at bjbrown777@gmail.com or on face book my name Brenda Brown.

Sarah G said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sarah G said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.